Valuable Insight for the TR Visa in Australia

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on reddit

Australia is an attractive destination for many reasons. A large number of students select Australia for further studies and many other reasons as well. At the same time, Australia also makes it easy for students to apply for their visas and to further extend it once they have completed their studies.

One such visa is the temporary graduate visa (TR Visa – subclass 485) which allows the applicant to remain in Australia on a temporary basis. On successful application of this visa one can one live, pursue further studies and also work. This type of visa is most suitable for students who wish to stay for longer in Australia but have recently completed their studies and their student visa is expiring soon. This article goes on to provide vital information regarding the TR Visa (subclass 485). It is a must-read for those seeking information regarding the TR Visa in Australia.

Important Facts on TR Visa

  • It is necessary for the applicant to be under the age of 50 years
  • Evidence of English proficiency is necessary, and if there is a lack of such evidence one might need to take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) to qualify for this visa.
  • The applicant must have a health cover (overseas student health cover) prior to applying for the TR subclass 485 visa.
  • The application process for this visa can be made online at the Department of Home Affairs. One must be prepared with all the necessary documents while making the application.
  • It is essential for the applicant to have completed a CRICOS registered course to be eligible for this visa.
  • There is a special list of occupations that the applicant will be eligible to take up once they successfully apply for this visa. The occupation should be present on the Australian Government Immigration skilled list.
  • There are two types of TR visa (subclass 485), the graduate work stream visa and the post-study work stream visa.
  • The cost of this visa is Australian $1650 and the visa processing time can range from 2 to 5 months.

Eligibility Requirements for TR – 485 Visa

There is a strict criterion for one to be eligible to apply for the temporary visa as listed here:

  • The applicant must hold a valid visa and be currently residing in Australia.
  • The age of the applicant must be less than 50.
  • It is necessary to have recently completed a CRICOS registered course.
  • The applicant is also required to have a police clearance, evidence that they are proficient in English, and an overseas student health cover.
  • The application for this visa needs to be made within 6 months of having completed your course.

Benefits of Applying for this Visa

The TR 485 visa has several features however it is important to select the correct stream first. There are two streams, the graduate and postgraduate stream. The Graduate Work Stream is for international students who have graduated with skills and qualifications relevant to the occupation listed on the skilled occupation list. While the Post-Study Work Stream is for international students who have graduated with a bachelor’s, master or doctoral degree from an Australian education provider.

Some of the main benefits of this visa include:

  • The applicant can live, study, and work in Australia for the duration of the visa.
  • It also allows the applicant to bring their family members.
  • The duration of the stay can be anywhere between 18 months to 4 years.
  • This visa makes it easier for one to obtain PR.

With the team of expert immigration consultants. Summit Migration provides the best services to its clients with extensive experience we have serviced a range of clients with different type of visa inquiries and can advise you on the best pathway towards permanent residency. Why not visit Summit Migration and have an assessment of your eligibility on many types of visas.   


Leave a Comment

Sign up for our Newsletter


Don’t Leave Your Case To Chance. Get Expert Advice. 

Call Now