The English Language Requirements depend on your nationality and the Visa Subclass that you are applying for.
Being test on your English and determining the level of English fluency that you are required to show is a daunting prospect for many clients. Yet don’t be disheartened
There are a few different English language tests accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.
- International English Language Testing System (otherwise known as IELTS)
- Occupational English Test (OET)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
The proficiency level you need to reach will depend on the Visa Subclass you’re applying for.
Required scores to establish Vocational English are as follows:
For most skilled visas, you will need to show at least Competent English to meet the threshold criteria. If you hold a passport from one of the following 5 countries, you can establish competent English without completing an English test:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
Otherwise, you would need to complete a recognised English language test and obtain the following score:
Competent English gives you 0 points in the Skilled Migration Points Test, but is an essential requirement to be able to lodge a skilled visa.
If you demonstrate proficient English, this will give you 10 points for English language ability.
Even native English speakers must undertake English language testing to obtain points for proficient English or higher.
Scores required for Proficient English are:
If you demonstrate superior English, this will give the maximum of 20 points for English language ability. Minimum scores for Superior English are:
If your spouse or partner has less than functional English, then you would need to pay the “English Education Charge” to cover English language tuition in applying for skilled migration.
You can show you have functional English ability by providing evidence of one of the following:
- Completion of a degree, higher degree, diploma or trade certificate that required at least 2 years of study in English medium
- Completion of all years of primary education and at least 3 years of secondary education in English medium; or
- Completion of at least 5 years of secondary education in English medium; or
- Scoring at least 4.5 averaged over the four components of the IELTS test within the 12 months before application, or during processing; or
- Completion in Australia of at least 1 year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in English medium.
- In some circumstances, functional English can be established via interview
You can also demonstrate functional English by completing an English test and scoring as follows:
|Test component||Average across test components only|
Whichever test type you take, you’ll find plenty of practice exams available. We highly recommend that you spend time properly preparing and taking practice tests. By familiarising yourself with the exam format and type of questions you’re up against, you’ll give yourself the best chance of success.
Prepare for IELTS by taking these free practice tests. We recommend timing yourself and comparing your answers with the model answers supplied.
Find a test centre here.
View questions from previous tests and see how the exam is structured.
Find an exam centre near you.
Cambridge Advanced English
Find out what you’re up against by taking a mock CAE test.
You’ll need to take your test at an authorised exam centre, find a location close to you.
Occupational English Test
Visit the OET preparation portal and prepare by downloading free sample materials.
The OET can be taken every month in 35 countries. Find your closest exam centre.
You’ll find a preparation resources section on the PTE Academic website.
Find your closest test centre and view exam fees.
If you’re using a Registered Migration Agent to manage your application, they will provide you with some handy exam tips and recommend the best test option for you.
Contact an agent at Summit Migration to provide a visa assessment and discuss the migration pathways open to you.