Student Visas

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Businesswoman-768x559 Student Visas

Australia introduced a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) on July 1st 2016. Under the SSVF all visa applications by international students and education agents are processed online.

You will need student visa if:

  • You would like to study in Australia for more than 3 months,
  • You would like to work while studying in Australia

Student visa (Subclass 500)

All of the following types of study are included on this visa:

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  • schools (primary and secondary)
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational education and training (VET)
  • higher education
  • postgraduate research
  • non-award courses
  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

There are several conditions of Student Visa, although they may vary:

  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when studying your course, during school holidays, you can work as many hours as you wish
  • You cannot start working before your course has started
  • You must maintain good attendance and academic progress at your school
  • You must have health insurance during your stay in Australia.
  • You can include dependents under your visa – partner and children – they are allowed to study for up to 3 months (partner) and work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight. Please note you will be required to prove your relationship with the dependents if you wish to include them under your visa. Children of school age (from 5 years old) are required to maintain their studies.

During your course you must maintain good attendance:

  • At English language schools the attendance has to be at least 80%,
  • At other types of schools (colleges, universities) the attendance should be the same, at least 80%, but you also have to achieve satisfactory course progress.


One of the main issues that can arise with a Student Visa application is difficulty of demonstrating the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement. Our Immigration Lawyers can advise you on how best to demonstrate this to the Department of Home Affairs.

* * * * *

This page provides a summary of the Partner Visa regime as at May 2019. Australian immigration law is complex and it changes on a regular basis. We strongly recommend that you contact us to confirm the requirements for a Partner Visa and consult with one of our solicitors and Registered Migration Agents.



Don’t Leave Your Case To Chance. Get Expert Advice. 

Call Now