You will need student visa if:
- You would like to study in Australia for more than 3 months,
- You would like to work while studying in Australia
Student visa (Subclass 500)
All of the following types of study are included on this visa:
- independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
- schools (primary and secondary)
- secondary school exchange program
- vocational education and training (VET)
- higher education
- postgraduate research
- non-award courses
- international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.
STUDENT VISA CONDITIONS
There are several conditions of Student Visa, although they may vary:
- You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when studying your course, during school holidays, you can work as many hours as you wish
- You cannot start working before your course has started
- You must maintain good attendance and academic progress at your school
- You must have health insurance during your stay in Australia.
- You can include dependents under your visa – partner and children – they are allowed to study for up to 3 months (partner) and work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight. Please note you will be required to prove your relationship with the dependents if you wish to include them under your visa. Children of school age (from 5 years old) are required to maintain their studies.
During your course you must maintain good attendance:
- At English language schools the attendance has to be at least 80%,
- At other types of schools (colleges, universities) the attendance should be the same, at least 80%, but you also have to achieve satisfactory course progress.
WHAT ARE THE STUDY FEES?
As an international student you will be required to pay tuition fees up front each semester. Initially, you will need to pay just for the first semester. The table below will give you an idea of course fee ranges for different types of courses:
|Course type||Tuition fee|
|High schools||A$12,500- 18,000 (yearly)|
|English Courses||A$ 200 – A$ 300 (weekly)|
|Certificate or Diploma or Advanced Diploma -1 year||A$1,500 – $6000 (per term)|
|Professional Year Program – 1 Year||A$8,000 -$12,500 per year|
|Bachelor Degree Program -3 years||A$20,000 -$30,000 per year|
|Master Degree Program – 2 years||A$22,000 $30,000 per year|
WHAT KIND OF COURSES CAN I STUDY?
We can provide you with info related to numerous colleges and universities around Australia. Here’s a list of some of the types of study fields we can explore:
- General English/ Academic English or IELTS
- Information Technology
- Business Management
- Project Management
- Trade course
- Leadership and Management
- Marketing and Communication
- Social Media & Digital Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Commercial cookery
- Sport and Fitness
- Child Care
- Other study fields depending your situation
HOW WE CAN HELP WITH YOUR STUDENT VISA APPLICATION
One of the main issues that can arise with a Student Visa application is difficulty of demonstrating the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement. Our Immigration Lawyers can advise you on how best to demonstrate this to the Department of Home Affairs.
If you have received a visa refusal, then the solicitors at Summit Migration may be able to assist. Find out more about appeals for visa refusals here. Alternatively, you may be eligible for Ministerial Intervention.
How Can We Help
Summit Migration provides free 15-minute, no-obligation phone consultation. Claim your free telephone consultation today. Call us on (07) 31777609 to speak to a Registered Migration Agent about your matter.