Prospective marriage visas are known as ‘fiancee visas’. A prospective marriage visa enables a visa holder to enter Australia with the intention of marrying their Australian citizen partner.
Once you have been granted a Prospective Marriage visa, you will be able to enter Australia. You will have nine months to formally marry your partner.
WHAT TYPE OF VISA
- Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) – temporary
- Following the grant of this visa you can apply for a permanent visa.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
You must be outside of Australia at time of application and
grant. Once granted, a fiancé visa is valid for nine months, in which you will
be allowed entry into Australia to marry your sponsor. You will have full work
and study rights for the duration of the fiancé visa.
A Prospective Marriage visa is generally a pathway for applicants who are unable to enter Australia on a Visitor Visa to marry.
The general requirements are:
- You are sponsored by your partner
- You meet the relationship requirement
- You meet the age requirements
- You meet the health requirements
- You meet the character requirements
- You have no debts to the Australian Government
Tips for Applying for a Prospective Marriage Visa:
- You may be eligible for a prospective marriage visa if you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- You must not have married your sponsor before you enter Australia on this visa.
- You must marry your sponsor whilst your visa is still valid.
- You must enter Australia by the specified entry date.
- Before this visa expires, lodge an application for a Partner visa in Australia to apply to remain permanently in Australia.
HOW WE CAN HELP WITH YOUR PARTNER VISA APPLICATION
One of the main issues that can arise with a Prospective Marriage Visa application is difficulty of showing that you are in a genuine, ongoing relationship. While easier than a Partner Visa, there can still be barriers to applying that need to be navigated.
- Summit Migration specialises in first instance applications and merits review applications for Prospective Marriage visas.
- The agents at Summit Migration has an in-depth understanding of the pitfalls and the range of factors that the Department may consider.
- Years of experience preparing and working with clients to prepare their partner visa applications.
- We move quickly to gather your supporting evidence and take the stress out of the process for you
- We take each case personally as we know how important these cases are to your life
- Our single goal is to get you to a visa grant.
Our Immigration Lawyers can advise you on whether is the
right type of visa for you, and with demonstrating to the Department of Home
Affairs that you are in a genuine, ongoing relationship. Please contact us
today for further information and advice.
* * * * *
This page provides a summary of the Prospective Marriage Visa regime as at May 2019. Australian immigration law is complex and it changes on a regular basis. We strongly recommend that you contact us to confirm the requirements for a Prospective Marriage Visa and consult with one of our solicitors and Registered Migration Agents.